Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Traveling Solo- For the Ladies



One of the things I see most often on travel forums or from friends and family is worry about being a woman traveling alone.  I've never let the fact that I'm a girl cause me any type of anxiety in reference to my travels, and I feel that most places are perfectly safe.  Unfortunately, I feel that fear is drilled into us from the time we're toddlers that we're the vulnerable sex and need protecting in certain situations.  I really don't think that any woman should be afraid to travel alone, but I'll share my experiences if they help to reassure anyone :)

As girls, and specifically if you dress up, there will always be unwanted attention.  This can happen in your home town too, not just on vacation.  The intensity varies from place to place, but it always occurs. I feel that it is what it is, and luckily no one has ever actually made me feel in danger.  When I get comments or creeps hanging around, I either pretend I don't speak English, completely do not acknowledge them or respond, or I get really, really nasty.  Don't mess with me. I may be blonde and like to wear skirts and make up, but if you push me too far I will give it right back and 10x worse.  I also always carry a small pocket knife (at home too) just in case anything ever gets too hairy, which it never has. I think it's wise to have either a small pocket knife or a small pepper spray etc just in case.  The pepper spray is probably the better thing to have, I know carrying a knife makes me sound crazy but it's also my grandpa's from the 50's, so I keep it for other reasons.  Again though, I have never had to physically defend myself in any way, anywhere.

Another important tip is to just be aware.  Don't do silly things or make silly decisions.  You don't need to hide in your hotel room as soon as the sun goes down, in fact I say get out and have fun!  Yes, I drink alone on vacation (although usually more with the friends I make) and I don't see anything wrong with this.  I'm on vacation to have fun!  What I don't do however is ever tell anyone that I'm completely alone or walk home late at night by myself.  I will always take a cab home, it is worth the extra charge.  As for the never revealing I'm alone, if anyone ever asks me, I say that either my boyfriend or my parents or my friends are back at the hotel sleeping and didn't want to come out.  Whether or not they believe me doesn't matter, they can't disprove it, and that might just be enough to scare a shifty character away.  Another thing I do for nightlife situations is always pick a local jump off bar.  Start at the same bar every night so that the staff can get familiar with you.  I usually start a conversation with the bartenders so that if anyone is ever hanging around too much and I have made it clear that I would like to be left alone, I stand by the bar and have someone to talk to.  I'm not saying depend on anyone to save you, or that your new bartender acquaintance will care terribly about you, but it helps to look like people are aware of you and will notice if you're in distress or something.  Believe it or not this has gotten me away from a few creeps over the years, usually because the bartenders will give them funny looks. 

You should always be somewhat aware of what areas to avoid in a city too, and this can easily be found by browsing travel forums. 

The other side for the single female traveler is a more lighthearted concern, which is usually "but how will it look?!"  Many ladies feel embarrassed about getting a drink alone, or eating a meal alone, or even just seeing a museum alone.  We can't all always be taken or with a friend! It's just not realistic. And I say, why should I miss out on a fabulous time just because no one else can go?  Please don't think that you look silly dining or drinking alone, there is nothing wrong with it, and I highly doubt anyone would even notice or stare at you or anything.  You get over these things rather quickly when you travel alone, and again, if you are a little nervous, make some friends!  You're never really "drinking alone" at a bar, there are always other people, and most places everyone is pretty friendly and open. Especially other travelers!  Step out of your comfort zone a bit, you might be surprised how much fun you have! 

* My opinions on dining or drinking alone are for places that I have been.  I have never been to a country where a woman alone is culturally unacceptable, like Saudi Arabia or something, so please keep in mind that if you are going someplace where women are not viewed the way they are in the USA or Europe, things may be different, and some places may be entirely unsafe for a woman traveling by herself, or any tourist (male or female) traveling alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment