Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Vintage Voyage- Dublin (Part 2)


 Part 2 of my Dublin post will focus on my day trips into the countryside.  I love day trips, I did 2 when I was in Ireland because I wanted to see some country sights and also because they are a nice break from the typical tourist schedule.  The first day trip I did was to the Blessington Lakes, Wicklow Gap, and Glendalough.  Glendalough was the most interesting since aside from the huge lake it had a cemetery area that had been long buried and was finally unearthed by Oscar Wilde's father sometime in the 1800s.  

Blessington Lakes



Wicklow Gap



Glendalough







The second day trip I did went to Newgrange and Monasterboice.  Newgrange is an ancient druid burial mound that has a tunnel that aligns with the rays of the sun on the winter solstice and illuminates the entire inner chamber of the dome.  I loved visiting Newgrange, it had been on my list for a long time since I love old Celtic and Druid things, they're just so weird!  I also loved the feel of the inside of the mound.  It was cool, and quiet, like a very calming type of silence, I could have slept in there!  Monasterboice is now a cemetery, but at one time was the site of an old monastery and contains some of the oldest Celtic crosses in Ireland

Newgrange





 Monasterboice




No comments:

Post a Comment